Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Stage 2: Repair & Replacement


With the paint removed, it's time to start producing a veneer to replace the damaged materials on the lid. Before starting on the table saw, I did a final check for bits of paint hiding in cracks and crevices. In doing my check, I found that the places where we had reapplied paint thinner had leeched some of the stain. At first I thought the spots were water stains, but on further inspection realized the discoloration was only where the paint thinner was and did not expand to where I had applied water. 



For the homemade veneer, I bought an 8' cedar plank that we shaved down as thin as we could get it without the table saw breaking through. After cutting the wood down to the length(s) we needed, we squared off the long edges on the table saw. Then, to get the thickness (or rather, the thinness) that we wanted and retain the ornamental properties of the wood, we had to first shave the "rough" off of the raw plank. Our shop foreman handled the process, as he explained it takes a delicate touch to make the cuts level. In lieu of a planer, we used the table saw to first remove the rough, then cut down to 1/8" or 1/16".



Now that we've got all our pieces cut down it's time to set them up to keep the grain and coloration as consistent as possible and choose a striation pattern!

Work Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 12 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment