Once we got the chest loaded back in to the shop I realized (as I hadn't paid the back any mind) that the backboard had been broken off and the cleats in the corners were coming loose. I removed the cleats, and sanded down where the original glue was. One of my colleagues brought an interesting point to light - that the glue used on this chest, vintage as it is, was probably an animal glue and being made from fats and natural oils could probably be loosened using a heat gun. I thought I'd use this method in a pinch, but the glue was so dry it sanded away easily. After cutting a fresh backboard and new cleats, I attached them to the underside of the chest using short screws, wood glue, and brads.
I followed the original glue line from the factory installment of the backboard's cleat, but realized once I attached it that the factory line wasn't flush with the back side of the chest. I've ignored it for now, but I'll be returning to this problem area once I get closer to finishing the project. It's on my list, but as of now it's not a primary concern. The plan is to remove the pieces, patch the screw holes with wood putty, and reattach. Next on my list, though, is removing the veneer along the bottom; again, since I had time to perform a fuller restoration, I decided to pull off that cracked stuff and replace it with nice cedar. The piece I picked out had more variety in its color patterns and no knots, and we'll be using it for the top while saving what we had originally cut for the bottom.
As you can see at left, the veneer has been removed, but we were still missing a piece on the upper left hand corner. This is another one of those pieces we didn't notice until we started turning it all around. To match the wood on the opposite side, we used a salvaged piece of poplar that shared a coloration in the grain. The poplar we used didn't have quite the same color, as the original wood has been weathered, but we plan on matching them using a stain to tie it all together. Once we got all these pieces on, we went ahead and flipped it over to start thinking about how we were going to cut a new piece of cedar.
As I was working, I noticed that parts of the trim on the lid and sides were starting to pull loose from the main body. With a gentle tug, the missing piece at right popped right off. Turns out the short sides of the lid are only factory attached using a tongue and groove with wood glue, and the glue had deteriorated. This piece coming off actually provided me with the opportunity to get down into the assembly and really clean up the trouble areas I had a hard time getting to when we were stripping the paint. In looking at the other side, I realized that someone had come back and tacked the piece on with brads, which leads me to believe that "Grandpa" had the same problem I did and reattached the good side. After sanding down the tongue and groove, I applied glue, tacked with brads, and clamped it on tight after getting it flush.
The last thing I tackled today was a large gap between the front and side trim on the corner. When reapplying the trim, I went in order of: side, front, side; what I should have done is centered up the front first and adjusted the sides to meet up. Instead I made one corner flush to the other and moved on from there to attach the front. It still looks fine and is pretty much centered, and lines up with the original lines, which makes this gap kind of an anomaly. Thankfully the shop had a premixed walnut wood putty on hand, which works perfectly, as the original veneer is actually walnut and I'll be using a natural stain. I'm also matching the oak, cedar, and poplar to the walnut color, so ideally the filling will be indeterminable from the rest of the piece.
Work Time: 4.5 Hours
Total Time: 22 Hours




No comments:
Post a Comment