Monday, October 5, 2015

Stage 1: Removal of Undesirables

I've loaded in the chest to the theatre's backstage area and have begun to work! The original veneer on the lid was damaged and peeling at the edges, and some of it was getting kind of ugly. I'm under the impression that the original owner painted the whole thing to mask how the finish was coming off. Rather than simply repaint it or just take the paint off (which may lead to the veneer peeling even more down the line), I chose to take a paint scraper to the finish and strip it down to the base wood. It appears the bulk of the box is made from a poplar base and has been covered with a nice finish. The white spots you see are what's left of the glue and pieces of the veneer that were attached rather stubbornly. Minimal damage to the base wood; only a few gouges where we got a little carried away.

Work Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment